Impact of Smoking
Smoking is the most avoidable and common cause of many fatal illnesses. Smoking is known to affect nearly every organ of the body. Many people treat a smoke break as a favorite , which results in today's alarming increase in the . Smoking harms not only your health but also your productivity. Have a look at the following points, which will make you ponder over a few facts-
Adverse Effects of Smoking in the Workplace
- You tend to take longer and frequent breaks that result in reduced work performance and less productivity. It also increases anxiety and decreases concentration.
- It has a direct impact on non-smokers as exposes them to second-hand smoke.
- There are high chances of fire risk.
- Can destroy the workplace culture
- Smokers are more prone to increased accidents and injuries and get sick frequently due to the physical effects of smoking on the body.
- Smoking increases workplace cleaning and maintenance cost.
Productivity of Smokers vs. Nonsmokers
- Smokers tend to have more sick days than non-smokers.
- Smokers are delayed in submitting their work.
- Smokers will live a few years less than the non-smokers and are also likely to retire early because of illness.
Thus, the employer has to bear the and other factors in the form of indirect cost for smokers. It subsequently results in lesser perks and benefits for the smoker employees.
Smoking Effects on Employee Health-
- Causes stroke and coronary heart disease
- Damages blood vessels
- Causes lung cancer
- If you have asthma, then smoking can trigger an attack and can even worsen it.
- Smoking affects sperm density and causes erectile dysfunction in men and can cause life-threatening reproductive complication like ectopic pregnancy along with reduced fertility in women. Smoking during pregnancy causes congenital disabilities in babies such as cleft lip and palate.
- Bone health is also affected by decreased bone density making it more prone to hip fractures.
- Causes high blood pressure.
- Smoking contributes to type 2 diabetes.
- The study shows that smoking reduces memory; planning and overall mental ability and can also lead to dementia.
Smoking not only destroys your health but also causes problems to your near and dear ones. You can even take part in the workplace smoking cessation program. Nowadays, many companies provide . Make the most of these packages and take care of your health regularly.Before picking up the cigarette, make sure you are aware of all the consequences of smoking. Think about the impact of smoking which affects not only your body but also your brain and your work performance. Take a few steps today to quit smoking. Get a Workforce medicalcheck for better tomorrow. To know more, fill the query form and we will get back to you soon.